Not Too Much Syrup

Not Too Much Syrup

Sunday, April 22, 2012

2 hours 21 minutes

That's it. My time for the race 2:21. I knew with my lack of training that this run would not be my best. My goal was simply to finish...alive. And I did. Barely. Just kidding, I actually feel great today. The first part of the race I felt pretty good. When I saw that we were already at mile 5 I was actually surprised. I felt pretty good. When I got to mile 9 my hip started hurting and I was pretty much done. I got cramps in my legs this time which I have never experienced before. Ouch! I owe a lot of me actually finishing to a few people. Dave-my brother in law who never stops! He ran with me in my dads spot with less training then myself and he finished at 2:18:08. He's nuts. That's all there is to it. I practically begged him along the way to stop and walk with me and he wouldn't. At mile 12 I desperately needed a bathroom break and finally there was no line at the port-o-potty. Probably because most people were like...there's only a mile left I can make it. Well I couldn't...perhaps one of the many joys of having a baby. Anyways, way to go Dave! You're a champ and I appreciate you running with me. I also owe some of my strength and motivation to my sister Melissa and her sweet baby Grace. Before the race, weeks before even, I knew I was going to need some strength beyond myself to finish. Whenever I run I always try to think of someone who is unable to run, for any number of reasons. I always imagine that I'm running for them, because they are physically or mentally unable to. Thinking that I am running for them always helps me finish. It helps to inspire me in those moments when I really want to stop, to sit down, to throw up....in previous races I have often thought of my two cousins who have now passed who were born with Battens disease. They were physically unable to run themselves so I thought I would do it for them. When I thought about who would inspire me for this race I knew immediately it would be my sister Melissa and my new niece Grace. Melissa is without a doubt the best runner in my family. I remember she use to run for an hour or more without it seeming to phase her. She also loves to run. There's plenty of times while I'm running that I think, why am I doing this? This is not fun. But I know she loves it. However she suffers from severe arthritis in both hips. She has already undergone two hip surgeries and will eventually need full hip replacements. I remember when her orthopedic surgeon told her she couldn't run. It was like someone telling me I couldn't eat chips. I have been able to go to the hospital a few times to visit my sweet new nieces. They are both progressing, Carly is growing and eating like a champ. And little Grace is chugging on, just a little slower. So Grace and Melissa, this race was for you. I had a picture of them that I carried with me, so they literally ran the race with me, and I often thought of them in those times when I wanted to stop, to sit down, and throw up. During this race there was a few people running and pushing their child or sibling in a running wheelchair. When I got right along one pair the boy in the wheelchair started yelling and cheering us along. I seriously almost started crying. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. It's those moments when you feel so much strength from beyond yourself that make you want to keep going. So thank you to those that helped get me through. I will definitely train more for my next race and perhaps I will have the strength to run faster. I'm just glad I finished. While I was running I was thinking, man I will never do this again. And now I'm already thinking of doing one in June. 
Here's Miller playing at the hotel. The race was up in Salt Lake so we spent the night up there.
The picture that helped get me through.
 We did it!
 Miller chewing on Brady's sunglass cover.
 This morning I was getting Miller's bath ready and I found him running away with my medal. I normally don't like naked photos but I thought this one was funny.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go!!! You're awesome! I really don't think I could have done it!!

    ReplyDelete