Not Too Much Syrup

Not Too Much Syrup

Thursday, April 12, 2012

run run run

I'm running the Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon next Saturday, the 21st. So lately I've been finding myself running as often as I can or as often as I can motivate myself to. I'll admit it has been a struggle many many days. First off I'll admit that I'm a bit of a wimp so if it's cold out I open the door, feel the cold breeze on my skin, shut the door, and opt for an indoor workout. I've also found myself lacking energy these days. I'm not sure if it's just my hormones balancing out, or lack there of...Or perhaps the fact that I haven't sleep a full night through in 9 months. (Thank you my sweet sweet Miller!) Anyways, there have been several days I've made it almost 3 miles and been COMPLETELY wiped out. So I head back inside feeling frustrated with myself. In high school running was sooo much easier! I'm started to think this getting older thing is really catching up with me! But seriously I use to come home from work in the summers (in Vegas mind you, hot, hot, hot) at about 5-6 o'clock and run, run, run. I wish I would have done some races back then, I'm curious about what time I would get. These days for me, especially this race next week, it's not so much about the time but just finishing! I really wanted to finish in under 2 hours in my last 2 races but due to some complications in each race...I was unable to. I'm not really shooting for that with this one because of my lack of training. So, anyways, there was a point to all of this. In one of my runs earlier this week I had an experience that brought me back. A storm was on the horizon so it was quite windy out. I hate running in wind by the way. Lots of things have bloomed so I was just watching all the pollen and stuff fly around which would make me sneeze later. As I was trotting along against the wind, no matter which direction I turned, (I've never understood that, shouldn't I get a break in one direction! It never feels like it!) I thought back to my high school days. I use to always run up this road (Blackridge). It's not super steep but a fairly nice grade, and it never seemed to fail that the wind was always blowing against me as I chugged up the road. I always use to imagine that the wind was Satan and that with each step I was fighting my way past temptations and evil. I would often move my hands so that with each swing of my arms I was pulling on imaginary bars that helped me up the hill and away from evil. I always got home feeling like I could conquer the world. What a thought for a high schooler! Anyways, I was brought back to this during my run against the wind this week and nearly had tears in my eyes. Sometimes it just feels like the adversary is tugging at you from this way or that way and it would be so easy to just stop and take the easy way out. I sure hope I can keep pushing on through the wind! I also really hope it's not windy next Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I think you are awesome! I suck so bad at running and am super out of shape!! I start to jog for 10 seconds and I can't catch my breath. It's really bad. It's true about Satan huh? He likes to tell us to give up. Good luck with your race!

    ReplyDelete